Jan 16, 2007

The Management of Pain

“Adequate pain control” means pain management that reduces a patient’s moderate or severe pain to a level of mild pain or no pain at all, as reported by the patient.
....
The Young Woman came to the Old Man seeking counsel

I’m in pain, Old Man.

How badly is the pain?

It’s almost killed me, it’s like half of me had been ripped from my soul.

Any specific reason for the pain?

My husband was cheating on me.

I’m afraid I can’t help you.

Why?

You should not kill the pain.

Why?

You’d better hold up your peace and live with the pain for a while.

Why?

So you can transfer the pain to your husband when the time comes.

No!! I don't want to hurt his feeling, Old man. But I don’t mind to hurt that bitch’s feeling.

Sure, it’s easier for you to hate someone else than hating your loved ones even though he is guilty.

The Young Woman turns and stares out the window.

You okay?

The Young Woman stares straight ahead.

No, I’m not okay.

How are you feeling?

Shitty.

Do you need anything?

I need to get out of here.

The Young Woman turns and without a word walks out of the room, shuts the door and gone.